Mercer Island Residents: You have a few Christmas Tree recycling options available for the 2012 holiday season.
The Mercer Island Lacrosse Club is hosting their annual Christmas Tree Recycle event. You will need to click here to sign up for a recycle date: Saturday Dec. 29th, Saturday Jan. 5th or Sunday Jan. 6th. Trees, with all decoration removed, will need to be placed outside by 9 am on your chosen recycle date, and if you would like to give a tax-deductible donation, please attach it to the tree secured in a plastic bag (suggested donation is $20).
Allied Waste, who handles collection for Mercer Island residents who have signed up for curbside residential yard debris recycling, will recycle Christmas trees for their clients. Via the Allied Waste website:
- Yard Debris customers can set Christmas trees out on their regularly scheduled collection day.
- Trees must be free of flocking, tinsel, ornaments and metal hangers, cut to 4′ lengths and tied into bundles less than 2′ x 3′ wide. Use biodegradable string or twine – no nylon, plastic or other synthetic materials.
- Flocked trees are not recyclable and will not be accepted. Put flocked trees in the garbage.
UPDATE via MI Weekly:
The City of Mercer Island annual holiday tree chipping service is offered through Monday, January 13 for Mercer Island Residents only. Undecorated holiday trees can be brought to the City Maintenance Shop at 9601 SE 36th Street during daylight hours where City staff will chip the tree (free of charge) and re-purpose it for use in City parks, trails, and open spaces.
When dropping off your holiday tree for chipping:
• Remove tree stands
• Remove all ornaments and lights
• Deliver your tree only during daylight hours
• Note: No flocked or artificial trees will be accepted
• Note: No garbage or other yard waste will be accepted